MEMBERS QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE – Fire safety in your community
CFA members have such a highly respected voice in their local community and this guide assists them to have good conversations and answer questions from community members in regards to fire safety.
CFA’s Executive Manager of Community Capability Terry Hayes said “the pocket guide will be a really handy tool for members to keep on them. When combined with their own local knowledge, it’s a great resource when talking to the community at events like CFA Sunday, community meetings/events and even conversations with own families, neighbours and friends. It’s so important to have those local conversations about both bushfire and home fire safety”.
Along with the various updated content, this year’s update makes the guide more appealing and more useful to all members. Added information includes:
- Home fire safety
- Welfare/support numbers
- Images of the top publications/resources, and
- Potential conversation starters at displays or community events.
PRE SEASON UPDATE – 2012 -13 fire season
The Pre-season Update is a short magazine-style publication that describes this year’s major changes relevant to fireground personnel. This season, Victoria’s focus is on working together to achieve the best outcome possible for the community. The State Control Team believe that taking the time to prepare will provide the best level of safety to members and their teams, and ultimately the best level of service to the community.
Members should read this material and discuss the relevant issues with their brigade or work location ahead of the coming fire danger period. It is important that we all understand how these changes will affect Victorian firefighters and the community we protect. It is important to remember that our focus remains on safety of both firefighters and the public.
The Pre-season Update includes the following areas of new or revised information:
- Command and Control – includes the revised Bushfire Command and Control Arrangements and Transfer of Control diagram
- Warnings and Advice – includes updated information about warnings levels, methods, tools, and evacuation procedures.
- Vulnerable People – emphasises the importance of considering vulnerable people in our community
- Predictive Services and Products – reinforces arrangements related to predictive services and products
- Community Preparedness – includes information about community engagement, Community Information Guides (formally Township Protection Plans), refuges and the updated ‘Can I or Can’t I?’ publication
- Resource Requesting – describes the new State Resource Request System
- Fire Agency Access through Traffic Management Points – includes updated information about CFA ID cards and vehicle stickers
Look out for your pack early next week.