The $383,000 facility was built under the State Government Rural Fire Stations program and is the first to be completed in CFA District 18.
A plaque was unveiled by Damian Drum, MLC for Northern Victoria Region with assistance of Captain Damian Torpey of the Turriff Fire Brigade. Guests also included Mr Patrick O’Brien, Loddon Mallee Regional Manager, Councillor John Kemfert, Mayor of Yarriambiack Shire, Councillors Helen Ballentine and Andrew McLean, and Group Officers Doug Afford, Trevor Mills and Trevor ‘Blue’ Wyatt.
An estimated 70 people from the Turriff community and surrounding brigades attended the opening while steady rain fell on the roof and mud was traipsed throughout the new building, but no one minded!
The Turriff Fire Brigade was officially formed in 1946 and started with a Furphy water tank. The brigade has been active for 65 years and currently has 24 members who attend a small number of wildfire incidents annually.
Previously the brigade was housed in a very small, basic shed with no toilet or kitchen facilities. The new station provides a well appointed kitchen and meeting room, brigade office, toilet facilities and plenty of room for storage. The motor room allows for expansion to a second appliance in the future and the space improves the safety of firefighters responding to incidents.
The new building provides improved meeting and training facilities that will enhance and strengthen the brigade’s relationship with the community. The brigade is looking forward to enjoying the new facilities for many years into the future.