Firefighters from Churchill, Hazelwood, Morwell and Yinnar were called to the incident just before midday (Sunday 26 Aug).
The 31 year old injured man was believed to be cleaning the ash and coals out of his fireplace and into a plastic bucket. While carrying the hot bucket outside, he dropped it and received severe burns to his hands.
Ambulance Victoria took the man to the Latrobe Regional Hospital.
District 10 Operations Officer Peter Barr said while it was good he was cleaning out his fireplace, it's very dangerous to put hot coals in any form of plastic container.