Just after 9.15 this morning (28 June), CFA was called to a house fire in Green Street Noble Park.
On arrival CFA discovered a passer-by had pulled the woman out of the house.
The 27 year-old rescuer, Douglas Berry said he saw smoke and flames at the front of the house so he ran around to the back and entered the house to find the elderly woman standing there.
"She looked a little dazed and confused so I put her over my shoulder and got out of the house as quickly as I could," he said.
"The house was filled with smoke so it was fortunate she was standing near the back of the house where I could find her easily and get her out."
CFA's Senior Station Officer at Springvale, Bernie Frawley said if it wasn't for the brave efforts by Douglas, this woman may not be alive.
"Because the house was filled with smoke, it only would have been a matter of time before the lady would have passed out," he said.
"The outcome could have been very different if Douglas wasn't there to pull her out. He should be very proud of his actions today."
The 85-year-old received surface burns to her hair and smoke inhilation.
Two CFA trucks and around 15 firefighters from Springvale and Dandenong fought the fire.
The house has a substantial amount of damage and is unlivable.
CFA believes the cause of the fire was a cigarette in the main bedroom of the house.
Please contact CFA Media on (03) 5330 3124 for further details.