The warning comes after Mt Martha CFA was called to an incident on Thursday 22 March, after neighbours alerted them to an abandoned, leaking LPG tank on the front lawn of a property.
Neighbours called the gas company in the morning after smelling gas. The gas company attended the property to confirm the gas tank was leaking and called Triple Zero (000).
CFA firefighters arrived to the Fairbairn Avenue address just before 3.30pm to find the LPG car tank, removed from the car, leaking gas. No-one was home at the time.
The Somers Gas Support Unit was activated and conducted a flare off at the property, carefully monitored by firefighters from Mt Martha, Dromana and Somers.
Mt Martha Brigade Captain Travis Hutchins said any form of leaking gas cylinder has the potential to be very dangerous so people should call Triple Zero straight away.
“The risk factor was very high with this case so we were fortunate to get to the gas tank in time before a potentially deadly incident occurred,” he said.
“People need to be vigilant and regularly check any type of gas cylinder, whether it be a vehicle LPG tank or a BBQ gas bottle.
“People should also seek professional advice before attempting any repairs on tanks that contain a flammable substance.
“This incident was a great team effort from all involved and obviously a successful outcome.”
Police also attended the incident.