On the way to the station a number of members noticed a large plume of black smoke from the area, Hamilton Captain Wayne Nagorcka on route called for support from North Hamilton Fire Brigade. On Arrival crews were confronted with a single story house and 2 cars on fire with a motel next door as a major exposure. Crews deployed 2 lines with one to protect the exposure and one for a BA team to make entry and knock down a fire that was burning through the ceiling. Great work was conducted by crews to knock down the fire limit the spread to the other parts of the house.
Capt Nagorcka said, “It was a fairly challenging job with most of the fire in the roof space. It took time to fully extinguish the fire without causing excessive damage”. Crews carried out an extensive salvage operation and recovered photographs and other important items to the family. Capt Nagorcka said, “The owner had a number of antiques and collectable which while covered by insurance, are difficult to replace so we spend a fair bit of time doing salvage work”.
The brigade also wants to thank local employers for allowing members to respond for a number of hours during the day.
The fire was determined to have started accidentally after the owner placed an open fuel container in the vicinity of a gas hot water service. It appears as though the vapours from the fuel have reached the pilot light. The fire then spread to a nearby vehicle.
Photos by Rayleigh Vandermost