CFA crews from Springvale and Dandenong assisted MFB with the house fire at the corner of Wanda Street and Police Road Mulgrave after receiving multiple calls around 2.30pm.
A thick cloud of smoke was seen from the distance and the brick home was well alight when firefighters arrived on scene.
Firefighting crews undertook an external attack as sections of the roof were collapsing in.
Gary Brewster who was travelling past the scene saw smoke and then spotted the mother screaming that one of her twins were still trapped inside the burning home.
Disregarding his own safety, he crouched down low and after several attempts he was able to locate the boy and pull him clear even though he had suffered from the smoke and fumes himself.
Senior Station Officer Josey Sensi from Springvale CFA assisted the male who was having breathing difficulties with an Oxy-Viva while the other firefighters tackled the fire.
Luckily the mother and her two children weren’t injured in the fire but it’s believed the fire was caused by the children playing with matches.
CFA District 8 Duty Officer Peter Lucas said this is a timely reminder that children should never be left alone with matches.
“In this case, the children were extremely lucky but the potential of serious injury or even death was very high,” he said.
“Matches and any type of accelerants should be kept locked away from children at all times.”
MFB crews remained on-scene blacking out the remains of the badly damaged home.
Images & videos by Keith Pakenham