*ARTICLE BY EMILY DURBRIDGE*
The theme of the talk was home fire safety. Ron (Brigade member) and Emily (Brigade Support Officer) showed the group some household items that are potential fire hazards in the home.
The group of nine were able to see what can happen with an electric blanket, over using double adaptors, wearing polar fleece near a fire, and how a frayed electrical cord can burn.
Lots of props were handed around and talked about as a group, including the use of smoke detectors and the importance of changing the battery once a year.
The group shared their experiences and stories and had some good discussion about an important topic and walked away with some handy hints and resources for having a fire safe home.