CFA, local government, Victoria Police and the Department of Sustainability and Environment are combining their efforts to engage with the community to seek local knowledge and feedback about the plans.
"In Victoria, we live in one of the most fire prone areas of the world and the risk of bushfire is very real for this region,” said Mr Don Kelly, CFA Grampians Region Manager.
“We recognise the value of local knowledge and each individual community’s unique understanding of their environment and how this can inform and strengthen our approach to fire planning.
"This is why it is critical each community is presented with an opportunity to comment on the plans that matter to them.
"The Municipal Fire Management Plan identifies localised bushfire risks, what is being done to address the risk and importantly which agency is responsible for managing the risk.
"The Township Protection Plan presents local information for high-risk bushfire communities to assist them to better plan, prepare, respond and recover from bushfires.
"As a community we cannot afford to let complacency seep into our approach to fire preparedness and we are encouraging all communities to participate in this important conversation," said Mr Kelly.
Following the consultation program, the draft Municipal Fire Management Plans will be submitted to their respective Councils for consideration by 30 June 2012.
Dates and venues of community consultation sessions
Hindmarsh Shire Council
- Rainbow: Rainbow Fire Station, Tues 28 Feb, 7.30pm – 8.30pm
- Nhill: Nhill Fire Station, Wed 29 Feb, 7.30pm - 8.30pm
- Jeparit: Jeparit Hall, Thur 1 March, 7.30pm – 8.30pm
- Dimboola: RSL Hall, Mon 26 March, 7.00pm – 8.30pm
Pyrenees Shire Council
- Lexton: Transaction Centre (old Lexton Hall), Wed 7 March, 7.00pm – 8.30pm
- Avoca: Town Hall, Wed 14 March, 7.00pm – 8.30pm
- Moonambel: Recreation Reserve, Thur 15 March, 7.00pm – 8.30pm
- Snake Valley: Snake Valley Football Reserve, Mon 19 March, 7.00pm – 8.30pm
- Beaufort: Beaufort Community Hall, Wed 21 March, 7.00pm – 8.30pm
West Wimmera Shire Council
- Harrow: Bush Nursing Centre, Mon 19 March, 7.00pm – 8.30pm
- Apsley: Apsley Fire Station, Tues 20 March, 5.00pm – 6.00pm
- Edenhope: Shire Office, Tues 20 March. 7.30pm- 8.30pm
- Kaniva: Kaniva Hall, Supper Room, Wed 21 March, 7.00pm – 8.30pm
- Goroke: Goroke Football Clubrooms, Thur 22 March, 7.00pm - 8.30pm
Horsham Rural City Council
- Haven/Horsham: Haven Primary School, Wed 14 March, 7.00pm – 8.30pm
- Dadswells Bridge: Dadswells Bridge Hall, Thurs 15 March, 7.00pm – 8.30pm
- Laharum/Wartook: Laharum Hall, Tues 27 March, 7.30pm – 8.30pm
- Natimuk: Natimuk Hall, Wed 28 March, 7.00pm – 8.30pm
Yarriambiack Shire Council
- Warracknabeal: Warracknabeal Town Hall, Wed 18 April, 7.00pm – 8.30pm
Ararat Rural City Council
- Elmhurst; Elmhurst Mechanics Institute (Hall), Wed 18 April, 7.00pm – 8.30pm
- Willaura: Willaura Memorial Hall, Thur 19 April, 7.00pm – 8.30pm
- Lake Bolac: Lake Bolac Community Complex, Tues 24 April, 7.00pm – 8.30pm
- Streatham: Streatham Memorial Hall, Thur 26 April, 7.00pm – 8.30pm
- Moyston: Moyston Recreation Reserve, Tues 01 May, 7.30pm – 8.30pm
- Pomonal: Pomonal Hall, Thur 03 May, 7.00pm – 8.30pm
- Ararat: Ararat SES Complex, Tues 08 May, 7.00pm – 8.30pm