CFA was called to the Wattle Avenue house in Werribee just after midday today (22 Oct).
On arrival, firefighters found three young children out the front of the house suffering smoke inhalation.
Ambulance Victoria was called to the scene to also treat their father who received a cut to his hand after smashing the bedroom window to get the children out.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the bedroom where it's believed the children were playing with a cigarette lighter.
This is a timely reminder for parents to never leave children unsupervised around any type of ignition source.
CFA crews from Werribee, Hoppers Crossing and Point Cook attended the fire.