Two CFA trucks from Benalla and a brigade vehicle responded to a reported explosion just after 7.15pm.
CFA firefighters were able to contain the fire to one room but discovered it was caused by an occupant of the house using petrol to start an open fire in the lounge room.
Even though the house fire was relatively small and contained quickly, a male in his early 30’s and a female in her late 20’s received burns to their hands and arms and were transported to Wangaratta Hospital.
District 23 Operations Officer Paul Horton said the issue stemmed from the use of green wood being loaded into a fire box and too much paper being used to light the fire.
“This combination in a tight space meant the fire was unable to start properly. The occupant has then poured a small amount of petrol into the fire box which caused an explosion,” he said.
“This is a timely reminder for people to never use accelerants to light fires in or outside their properties – the outcome can be deadly.
“People need to be diligent about their winter fire safety. Residents should be checking their chimneys, fireplaces and heaters as temperatures have already begun to drop.”
This incident is also a reminder for people to use dry wood in their fire places and most importantly, keep safe.
All Victorians are encouraged to take responsibility for fire prevention in their home and visit www.homefiresafety.com.au for home fire safety tips.