Fire & Ambulance crews were originally responded to a Kate Court address where a resident had been affected by ammonia and had requested an ambulance via calling 000.
Further investigation found a factory located on Army Road approximately 400 metres from the original paged address with a significant ammonia leak with an estimated 100kg lost.
Incident Controller Phil Craig from Pakenham Fire Brigade in conjunction with Victoria Police issued an advice message for the surrounding area via the Emergency Warning System, while Victoria Police evacuated surrounding streets.
Dandenong Hazmat Detection and Hallam Hazmat had been requested early during the incident to provide atmospheric monitoring, equipment and information during the call.
Crews entered in protective gas suits to isolate the leak and begin ventilating the high levels of ammonia accumulated in the factory using positive pressure ventilation fans.
"This process proved to be quite difficult and time consuming due to the building design and layout. The remote monitoring capability of the Dandenong Hazmat Detection Vehicle proved to be a very effective way of monitoring ammonia levels during ventilation." Phil Craig said.
A stop wordback was placed at 3.55pm.
The incident is under investigation by Worksafe.
Crews/Agencies involved: Pakenham, Officer, Nar Nar Goon, Dandenong (Hazmat Detection), Hallam (Hazmat), Narre Warren (Casey Group Field Operations Vehicle), Frankston (Breathing Apparatus), Victoria Police, Ambulance Victoria, EPA and Worksafe.
Images: Cameron Lewien, Pakenham Fire Brigade