93-year-old Elsie Johnson was outside when the fire broke out in her kitchen but was unable to get inside to the phone because of the flames. A passerby called the fire in shortly before noon and Bridgewater Captain Tim Ferguson and his crew arrived on scene to find smoke billowing from the windows and roof cavity.
“We had to get other trucks in from around the area to give us a hand,” Captain Ferguson said. “It’s basically on the floor, there’s only one room that has two walls left in it and everything else is basically levelled to the ground.”
The elderly woman was treated for shock and smoke inhalation by Ambulance Victoria.
Article in full and images available in the Bendigo Advertiser.